Nationally, Smile for a Lifetime (S4L) provides scholarships for orthodontic care for hundreds of patients each year. Dr. Black is aware of the need for assistance within our area and that is why he founded the Western North Carolina Chapter.
Who We Are
Smile for a Lifetime Foundation is a charitable non-profit organization that provides orthodontic care to individuals who may not have the opportunity to acquire assistance. Launched in 2008, Smile for a Lifetime Foundation aims to reach individuals with financial challenges, special situations, and orthodontic needs. The Foundation sponsors the orthodontic care of hundreds of patients each year. Smile for a Lifetime Foundation has participating orthodontists throughout the US. Each chapter has its own local Board of Directors who chooses patients to be treated by the Foundation.
It is our mission to create self-confidence, inspire hope, and change the lives of children in our community in a dramatic way. The gift of a smile can do all this for a deserving, underserved individual who, in turn, can use this gift to better themselves and our community.
Guidelines for Applying for an S4L Scholarship:
- Applicant questionnaire must be handwritten and answered by the applicant. Please type or print clearly with black ink (no pencil).
- Applicant must be a resident of Buncombe County.
- Applicant must have a significant aesthetic need for braces.
- Applicant must demonstrate financial need.
- Applicant must be between 11 to 18 years old
- Applicant must be a currently enrolled student
- Applicant should demonstrate a positive attitude
- Applicant must agree to follow the treatment plan and demonstrate the ability and commitment to make all appointments on time
- Applicant is encouraged to display involvement and leadership in extracurricular activities
- Must be willing during the treatment period to “pay it forward” by completing 10 hours of community service.
Two Letters of Recommendation are mandatory. Please do not submit more than two letters and limit each reference letter to one page each. Please type or print clearly with black ink (no pencil). Letters of recommendations may be written by teachers/coaches, counselors, dentists or spiritual leader etc.
A clear 5×7 head shot with full smile & teeth showing must be included with application.
The application, letters of reference and pictures will not be returned and will become property of Smile for a Lifetime Foundation.
Applications will be reviewed on a periodic basis. Applications are received on an ongoing basis. Each applicant will be notified of approval or denial after the end of each selection process.
*NOTE: You do not need to schedule a consultation to apply for the Smile for a Lifetime scholarship.