Cleaning & Caring For Your Braces
Braces are an excellent investment for your health and your appearance, but they require extra maintenance. Caring for and cleaning your braces can help you protect that investment and avoid future dental problems.
Discover how adding a few simple steps to your regular cleaning routine can help maintain your oral hygiene with braces.
How To Clean Your Braces
Having braces means that there are more places for food particles to be trapped in your mouth. If they are not cleaned appropriately, these areas can cause plaque buildup, leading to many other dental problems.
Taking extra steps to clean your braces can help prevent problems and keep your teeth healthy. Brushing and flossing properly are key to cleaning teeth with braces. Follow these steps to get an optimal level of clean:
1. Before brushing your teeth, rinse your mouth out with mouthwash or water to loosen any spare food particles that might be hiding in your braces or in between your teeth.
2. Use an interdental brush to clean between every bracket and then go in with a soft-bristle toothbrush at a 45° angle to get around the wires, making sure to brush your teeth from top to bottom.
3. Then, using circular motions, gently brush around the gum line. Be sure to take your time with the brushing process, and get into all those nooks and crannies.
4. Next, thread floss it carefully underneath the main wire and gently move the floss up and down between your teeth.
5. Once you’re done flossing, rinse your mouth with water or mouthwash and double-check that you got into all those hard-to-reach areas!
If you have any questions about how to maintain oral hygiene with braces, we are happy to show you everything you need to know about keeping your braces clean. It’s never too late to start your smile journey. Book a free appointment (available online or in-person) now!
How To Care for Your Braces
Caring for your braces involves more than just maintaining oral hygiene. Here are a few more precautions you should take to prevent needing an emergency appointment in your daily life.
First off, it’s essential to avoid foods that damage braces easily. Foods like bubblegum, caramel, hard candy, peanuts, popcorn, taffy, and tortilla chips are just some foods that patients should avoid. Our orthodontic team will provide you with a comprehensive list of foods you should steer clear of during your treatment.
Additionally, athletes may be at a higher risk of damaging their braces. While playing sports, patients should protect their teeth and braces by wearing a mouthguard. A mouth guard will shield your teeth and braces from falling or other injuries that may occur as a result of these physical activities.
If you follow these simple guidelines, it’s easy to care for your braces. Diligent cleaning and care will protect your braces investment and prevent further oral issues in the future.
Protecting Your Smile and Your Investment
At Black Orthodontics, we understand that braces are an investment, and you want you to get the most out of them. Taking time to clean and care for your braces properly will help improve your results. Our knowledgeable orthodontic team is ready to instruct you on the best way to look after your braces. For more frequently asked questions on taking care of your braces, visit our FAQ Page.
Dr. Black has 25 years of orthodontic experience and is ready to boost your smile with Damon Braces. Make an appointment online, text, or call us now and discover why so many Asheville residents trust Black Orthodontics.